Each year, Better Business Bureau Northwest + Pacific awards thousands of dollars to high school students across the seven states we serve through its Students of Integrity Scholarship.
Students submit essays and videos, and the assignments challenge the students to learn the details of being a smart consumer, the values of being a trustworthy business, and how to recognize and protect themselves from scams.
This year, we had a few changes that helped us reach more students than ever before. First, we were able to get our community and Accredited Businesses involved through sponsorship programs to double the award for our essay scholarships. Thank you to all of our regional sponsors: Alaska Safety Alliance, Lex Brodie's Tire Company, Cascadia Business Development, Oregon Beach Vacations, and Automated Accounts, Inc. Second, we reinvested in our program's marketing through digital communications to schools and in-person visits by our Marketplace Managers, resulting in almost three times as many applications!
Graduation may look a little different this year, in the middle of a pandemic, with schools shut down and gatherings being limited; it's not quite the same. However, the class of 2020 has been an inspiring one. They adapted to virtual schooling, attended graduation ceremonies via video or drive-through, and kept a 20/20 focus on their goals.
Better Business Bureau Northwest + Pacific is proud to announce the 2020 Students of Integrity Scholarship recipients! We were able to interview them via Zoom to surprise them with the announcement. Check out the video below and share in the excitement!
- Our $5,000 Video Scholarship recipient is Gillian Drake, a graduating Senior at Skyline High School in Idaho Falls. Gillian created a video that explained the riskiest scams by acting them out in a fun and engaging way on one of the fastest-growing social media networks, TikTok.
- Our $2,000 Essay Scholarship recipient from Alaska, sponsored by Alaska Safety Alliance, is Elena Konev from Mat-Su Middle College.
- Our $2,000 Essay Scholarship recipient from Hawaii, sponsored by Lex Brodie's Tire Company, is Jing Ting Zheng from Kalani High School
- Our $2,000 Essay Scholarship recipient from Idaho is Sarah Boyer from Lakeland High School. Sarah is also the valedictorian this year!
- Our $2,000 Essay Scholarship recipient from Montana, sponsored by Cascadia Business Development, is Erin McKinney from Bozeman High School
- Our $2,000 Essay Scholarship recipient from Oregon, sponsored by Oregon Beach Vacations, is Laurel Bice from Gresham High School
- Our $2,000 Essay Scholarship recipient from Washington, sponsored by Automated Accounts, Inc, is Mackenzie Shattuck from Connell High School